Can't Repay Bounce Back Loan? Get Free Advice

Require Immediate Support? Free Director Helpline: 0800 644 6080

Real Business Rescue

Free Director Helpline: 0800 644 6080


Written by: Jonathan Munnery

How can I get a customer to pay the money they owe my company?

You may be able to take formal debt recovery action if a customer repeatedly fails to pay the money they owe you. Your first step should be to issue a final request for payment and give them 7 days to pay what they owe. If this is unsuccessful, you may need to consider issuing them with a Statutory Demand.

60 Second Test Find Your Nearest Office

When a customer will not pay your invoices, what can you do about it?

Collecting invoice payments from clients should be a simple, routine, and streamlined process, especially if you already have systems in place to provide quotes/payment agreements and invoice/ process payments in a timely manner. 

Unfortunately, regardless of how professionally your invoicing process is carried out it is ultimately up to the client to pay, and this doesn't always happen on time or as planned.

When it appears that you won't be able to get paid for the hard work you've done (or a product you've provided) it can be easy to become frustrated and overlook available options. If you're after a client who is refusing or is unable to pay you based on your agreement with them then consider the following:


Start By Issuing a 7-day Payment Request Before Taking Action

First, send them one final request for the payment containing the details of the original payment agreement you had with them. Be sure to let them know that you will be taking them to Court and filing a claim against them for the amount due if they are unable to make payment within 7 days of the request issue date. 

It may also help to remind them that they may be held liable for interest and Court fees, and that it would be much easier and less stressful for them to simply pay the invoice instead.

Received a Bounce Back Loan?

Don't Worry - There are thousands of other company directors going through the same process. No matter what position you are in and need looking for options, speak to a member of the Real Business Rescue team. It's Free & Confidential.
The team are available now -  0800 644 6080

If the amount is less than £10,000, you can submit a Small Claims Court N1 form

Keep a copy of the payment request and if the client fails to pay it within 7 days be sure to use this documentation when you take them to Court. To begin the process of taking them to Court you can file an HMCS claim online. If the Court rules in your favour then the debtor will be required to pay what they owe you plus the cost of Court fees and interest.

If the Amount Owed is Greater than £5,000 Then Issue a Statutory Payment Demand

If the client owes you more than £5,000 then your next step should be to serve a statutory payment demand. This is a formal document that requests payment of the amount due within 21 days. If this payment request is not met then you would have grounds to present a winding up petition in Court.

We understand that delinquent invoice payments can be a major burden on a business, especially when cash flow problems are already present. 

We have helped the directors and managers of many businesses recover the funds owed to them, obtain financing, and get rid of problem debts.

Contact the RBR Team Today

Here at Real Business Rescue we take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to contact you with regards to your enquiry. We will not use your information for marketing purposes. See PRIVACY POLICY
Free download

Free Insolvency Report

Claim Your Free Business Review

Simply search your Limited Company Name or Company Number

Next Steps

We provide free confidential advice with absolutely no obligation.
Our expert and non-judgemental team are ready to assist directors and stakeholders today.